Rotary Club of Daniel Island’s 16/17 exchange student Manuela Amhof from Switzerland participated in the graduation ceremony at Bishop England High School today – pictured here with one of her host families, Scott & Laura Varn.
Two new members were inducted into the Rotary Club of Daniel Island during the April 26 meeting.
President Gray Ives called the new members, Dr. Brantley Meier & Ms. Katie Giebel, along with their sponsors to the podium and confirmed they were ready and willing to join the ranks of over 1.2 million Rotarians worldwide.
Dr. Meier received his Rotary pin from his sponsor Mr. Michael Patterson and Ms. Giebel received her Rotary pin from her sponsor Mr. Michael Cole.
Congratulations to both of the newest members of the Rotary Club of Daniel Island!
For information on how you might join the Rotary Club, CLICK HERE.
Members of the Rotary Club of Daniel Island enjoyed a wonderful oyster roast recently at Pierce Park Pavilion on Daniel Island. The social event has become an annual tradition, and prospective members are also invited to attend.
The event was organized by Rotarians Bill Cannon and Cecil Mills. Attendees brought a favorite dish to share.
Cecil did the cooking, seen here with Frank McGuire… 10 bushels of oysters and 20 lbs of shrimp for the Low Country Boil.
Family members and friends gathered with Rotarians to enjoy nice weather and live music led by Rich Tassin an instructor at Black Tie Music Academy.
Many helped setting up and tearing down – thanks to Rex Brown, George Jucha, Bill Thielfoldt, Peter Mumola, and many others who stuck around to ensure the area was cleaner that it was found.
Thanks to all that made this fellowship event possible!
The Charleston Duck Race’s duck mascot made an appearance in the North Charleston St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Block Party this weekend.
St. Patrick’s Day marks the unofficial start to duck adoption season for clubs participating in the race, and members of the North Charleston Breakfast Rotary Club and the Rotary Club of Daniel Island offered ducks for adoption during the event. Thanks to all the volunteers that helped with this event, including Interact and Rotaract members from the Charleston region.
The 11th annual Charleston Duck Race is scheduled for June 10, 2017 –
More info and duck adoptions available here: www.CharlestonDuckRace.com
- Rotary Club of Mt. Pleasant
- Rotary Club of North Charleston – Breakfast
- Rotary Club of North Charleston
- St. Andrews Rotary Club (West Ashley)
- Rotary Club of Daniel Island
- Rotary Club of John’s Island
- Rotary Club of Summerville
- Rotary Club of Summerville – Oakbrook Breakfast
Daniel Island, SC – December 20, 2016 – Rotarians gathered early in the morning at the Publix on Daniel Island to pick up over 290 turkeys to be delivered to the Cainhoy Community Center and Seven Farms Drive apartments.
“This is the 14th year in a row for the Rotary Christmas Food Drive, one of 3 annual food drives the club undertakes”, explained Rotarian Cecil Mills, long time leader of the project.
“This long standing initiative targeting hunger in our club’s immediate service area is one of our most important projects.” said club president Gray Ives.
“We are very thankful for the generous support for our food drives from our neighborhood Publix”, added Ives.
Thanks to all that made this another successful food drive!
In addition to 3 annual food drives, Daniel Island Rotary Club regularly assists with distribution of fresh fruits and vegetables in the Cainhoy community in cooperation with the Lowcountry Food Bank and other local organizations.
Rotary Club of Daniel Island has had a terrific start to the 16/17 Rotary year.
Here is a quick snapshot of various community service projects undertaken by Rotarians so far this year in the club’s Southern Berkeley County service area, and beyond.
- Walk to end Alzheimer’s – Walk to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care. Our club raised over $1,400 for this worthy cause. Lead Organizer: Bill Thielfoldt
- Dictionary Project – Rotarians provided dictionaries to every third grader at DI Elementary, Cainhoy, & Phillip Simmons schools with 240 dictionaries delivered. Lead Organizer: Derek Epperson
- Charleston Seafarers Project – 6th year of providing merchant seaman, at sea during the Christmas holidays, with wrapped boxes containing toiletries and other necessities. 100 boxes provided. Lead Organizer: Pat Richards
- Meals on Wheels Blankets – Blankets were wrapped and given to Meal on Wheels recipients to keep warm during the Winter. 100 blankets provided. Lead Organizer: Billie Bacon
- Baldwin Carson Outreach Community Center – In a partnership with the Daniel Island Community Fund, Rotarians provided funds for new playground facility. The Daniel Island Community Association assisted with installation of the equipment and Rotarians provided a wooden border and mulch making this a great place for children to play. Lead Organizer: Tom Richards and special thanks to Ed Heavey for his carpentry skills and leadership.
- Lowcountry Food Bank – “Fresh for All” initiative providing fresh vegetables and fruits to those in need in the Cainhoy community. Lead Organizer: Jim White
- Cainhoy Food Drive – 171 meals delivered to the Cainhoy Community Center for local residents. This is the first of three food drives being funded in part by Rotary District Grant funds. Thanks to Publix who provided the meals at cost and donated an additional 40 whole turkeys! Lead Organizer: Cecil Mills
The August 3, 2016 meeting of the Rotary Club of Daniel Island celebrated $5,000 checks being awarded to each of the seven (7) named 2016 Duck Race Beneficiaries. Many Gold & Platinum Level sponsors of the event were on hand to celebrate another successful event.
Bill Theilfoldt, 2016 Fundraising / Duck Race Chairperson for the club, discussed the overall success of this year’s Duck Race and then invited representatives of each Beneficiary come up and say a few words about their Charity and how the monies from the duck race would be used. Bill also noted that the Daniel Island Community Fund provided funds totaling $7,500 to further increase the impact of the charitable efforts.
The beneficiaries and their representatives in attendance:
- East Cooper Meals on Wheels, represented by Mr. George Roberts
- East Cooper Community Outreach, represented by Mr. Jack Little and Ms. Jo Cooper
- Charleston Area Therapeutic Riding, represented by Ms. Amanda Gerald
- DI Animal Hospital on Wheels, represented by Dr. Lynne Flood
- Hibben Emergency Cold Shelter & Table, represented by Mr. Walt Strawther, Mr. Dan Graham & Ms. Polly Graham
- Camp Happy Days, representd by Ms. Cindy Hay Johnson
- Palmetto Warrior Connection, Rotarian Michael Cole accepted on their behalf
After hearing from each Beneficiary, it was quite evident that each were well deserving of the $5,000 check.
In addition to the named beneficiaries of the annual Rotary Duck Race, the Rotary Club of Daniel Island utilizes the balance of the funds raised to support local and international service projects throughout the fiscal year.
The duck race would not be possible without the continued support of the community.
Thanks to all that support the event each year!
Pictures provided by Mary Wessner Photography
The Varn family recently welcomed the Rotary Club of Daniel Island’s 16/17 exchange student Manuela Amhof from Switzerland at the Charleston International Airport.
Manu (her nickname) will attend Bishop England High School this year as a senior.
Thank you Scott and Laura Varn for hosting the first portion of her stay on Daniel Island, and for sharing this picture of her arrival in Charleston!
July 19, 2016 was a special day for the members of the Rotary Club of Daniel Island.
15 years earlier, the first club president Mary Murray received the club’s charter during an official visit of the Rotary International President to Charleston. The club was sponsored by the North Charleston Rotary Club and attracted over 25 charter members from the quickly developing area of Daniel Island and southern Berkeley County.
Recently installed 16/17 club president Gray Ives led the Club Assembly Meeting and presented a special cake decorated for the occasion.
Past Presidents of Daniel Island Rotary Club include: Mary Murray, Billie Bacon, Brian Calhoun, David Pagliarini, David Vail, Russ Long, Judy Burnstein, Bob Welsh, Bob Wood, Pat Richards, John Tiller, Bill Stevens, Chad Vail, and Mike Sudzina.