The August 3, 2016 meeting of the Rotary Club of Daniel Island celebrated $5,000 checks being awarded to each of the seven (7) named 2016 Duck Race Beneficiaries. Many Gold & Platinum Level sponsors of the event were on hand to celebrate another successful event.
Bill Theilfoldt, 2016 Fundraising / Duck Race Chairperson for the club, discussed the overall success of this year’s Duck Race and then invited representatives of each Beneficiary come up and say a few words about their Charity and how the monies from the duck race would be used. Bill also noted that the Daniel Island Community Fund provided funds totaling $7,500 to further increase the impact of the charitable efforts.
The beneficiaries and their representatives in attendance:
- East Cooper Meals on Wheels, represented by Mr. George Roberts
- East Cooper Community Outreach, represented by Mr. Jack Little and Ms. Jo Cooper
- Charleston Area Therapeutic Riding, represented by Ms. Amanda Gerald
- DI Animal Hospital on Wheels, represented by Dr. Lynne Flood
- Hibben Emergency Cold Shelter & Table, represented by Mr. Walt Strawther, Mr. Dan Graham & Ms. Polly Graham
- Camp Happy Days, representd by Ms. Cindy Hay Johnson
- Palmetto Warrior Connection, Rotarian Michael Cole accepted on their behalf
After hearing from each Beneficiary, it was quite evident that each were well deserving of the $5,000 check.
In addition to the named beneficiaries of the annual Rotary Duck Race, the Rotary Club of Daniel Island utilizes the balance of the funds raised to support local and international service projects throughout the fiscal year.
The duck race would not be possible without the continued support of the community.
Thanks to all that support the event each year!
Pictures provided by Mary Wessner Photography