Rotary Club of Daniel Island has had a terrific start to the 16/17 Rotary year.
Here is a quick snapshot of various community service projects undertaken by Rotarians so far this year in the club’s Southern Berkeley County service area, and beyond.
- Walk to end Alzheimer’s – Walk to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care. Our club raised over $1,400 for this worthy cause. Lead Organizer: Bill Thielfoldt
- Dictionary Project – Rotarians provided dictionaries to every third grader at DI Elementary, Cainhoy, & Phillip Simmons schools with 240 dictionaries delivered. Lead Organizer: Derek Epperson
- Charleston Seafarers Project – 6th year of providing merchant seaman, at sea during the Christmas holidays, with wrapped boxes containing toiletries and other necessities. 100 boxes provided. Lead Organizer: Pat Richards
- Meals on Wheels Blankets – Blankets were wrapped and given to Meal on Wheels recipients to keep warm during the Winter. 100 blankets provided. Lead Organizer: Billie Bacon
- Baldwin Carson Outreach Community Center – In a partnership with the Daniel Island Community Fund, Rotarians provided funds for new playground facility. The Daniel Island Community Association assisted with installation of the equipment and Rotarians provided a wooden border and mulch making this a great place for children to play. Lead Organizer: Tom Richards and special thanks to Ed Heavey for his carpentry skills and leadership.
- Lowcountry Food Bank – “Fresh for All” initiative providing fresh vegetables and fruits to those in need in the Cainhoy community. Lead Organizer: Jim White
- Cainhoy Food Drive – 171 meals delivered to the Cainhoy Community Center for local residents. This is the first of three food drives being funded in part by Rotary District Grant funds. Thanks to Publix who provided the meals at cost and donated an additional 40 whole turkeys! Lead Organizer: Cecil Mills